The Shadow Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplay, Talk To People, Make Friends

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Hidden World - Chapter 1

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Hidden World - Chapter 1 Empty
PostSubject: The Hidden World - Chapter 1   The Hidden World - Chapter 1 EmptyWed 29 Jun - 20:16

©

*note: this story takes place within 10 days and the intro to the 1st chapter is just a recap. I am currently writing more and i'll post it later if people ask.*

DAY ONE

My name is Dorothy Verner and this is the story of how I woke up in a different place... repeatedly. Once it was explained to me, I realized that I couldn’t go back to my normal life without being extremely bored. Not like I would want to. Being alone with your twin brother and parents you're not related to isn’t fun. At least I have a family here - somewhat. Well, in all the ways that matter.
It started about a week ago, during school. We were in history class, learning about the bloody battle of Shiloh in the Civil War. There was this rippling by the door, as if it were an illusion and it wasn’t stable. I saw a glimpse of a heavy-looking mahogany door with a beautiful stained-glass window. The design was strange for a school, though. It was a black heart with a red rose in the middle. I was obviously wondering how it had done that, but no one in class seemed to see it. Not even our teacher, Mr. Redd. I was sure I must’ve imagined it and I moved on with my life. Outta sight, outta mind, and don’t you go on thinkin’ stuff that you know ain’t real, my mom used to tell me. My mom was from the South and she still had that sweet Southern twang when she married my dad. My heart ached when I thought about them.
A few days later, I was reading in my room and my bed started rippling. My brother wasn’t home so it was safe to scream bloody murder. I would have in history class but we were reviewing for a test and screaming about something nobody could see was pointless. But I screamed to my hearts content that day. I jumped off the bed to see what would change. Instead of the black blanket with pink polkadots, there was a beautifully gothic lacy blanket. There was a stuffed gothic bear between the fluffy pillows. Instead of my twin bed it was a queen and this thin, soft fabric made a sort of teepee around the bed. But even though it was sheer, it was very hard to see through. It was pulled aside though, so I could see the bed. In the next second, it went back to my original bed. I was still staring, wide-eyed.
Then, a few days ago my helpful brother Ashton was in the living room watching TV. He was the lazy one out of us both. Then the whole living room changed. The sofa turned into a huge cushy black leather sofa, the coffee table turned into something that you would take home from a Renaissance festival, and the floor was soft, fluffy carpet. I ran to my room to get a picture and ran back. I took a picture but when I looked at it, it looked like our normal living room. I was starting to think I was going crazy.
“Doe, what was that for? You never realized how much our living room looks like crap?” Ash asked me and I glared. He hated our adoptive parents ever since they told him we were adopted. I don’t know why, but I think he wishes our parents were still alive.
“I’ve noticed…” I tried to think of a smartass retort but I couldn’t think of anything. I hated it when he did that. I set my camera down and sat next to him on the lumpy sofa. I sighed and watched TV with him until our “parents” came home and made dinner. Tony and Norah were good people, but everything felt awkward when they were around.
I went to bed and when I woke up two days ago, my whole room turned into a goth’s dream. Well, it was more like a goth-rocker room, but still. I thought it was beautiful but then everything went back to my normal room and I sighed. I got up and got dressed for school. I ironed my curly dark brown hair and put a bobby pin in it to keep my bangs away from my eyes. I got in my friend's car and we drove to school. I hoped these weird hallucinations were going to be over. If this was how the rest of my life was going to be, I would rather be in a mental hospital.
Then two days ago, the whole school changed. Ivy scaled the brick, the sign Blackwell High School looked old and rusted. The doors were heavy mahogany with the same stained-glass design on all the doors. The school was a bit smaller and the floors were wood. Then everything turned back into how it was before and I had sighed. This was going to be a long day. I hated when this happened occasionally when I was younger and I hate it even more now.
Then, yesterday, I woke up to the goth-room but it wasn’t wavering like the other times things had changed. I rolled out of bed, wondering why I was awake during the nighttime and went to the mirror. Instead of my hazel-green eyes, they were now dark green with gold flecks in them. My curly dark brown hair was now a stick-straight ebony color that cascaded down to my hips, instead of the short haircut I had gotten. Instead of my gold-ish skin, it was now ivory like the moon. My lips were bow-shaped, or another way to put it is cat-like; not the thin lips I used to have.
I was taking in how my new body curved in the right places, but able to not look like a whore. Slim waist, wide-ish hips, and enough cleavage to be easily called a girl. Unlike my original body, this one was perfect. No zits the size of Mount Everest. Lanky arms and legs.
I was still freaking out though, it was just coming in flashes. After a few other times where stuff changed, I was getting used to it. I would be back in my body in no time. I tied my silky hair into a braid and put on some makeup I found in a drawer. I found some clothes and put them on as well.
“Doe! Get your ass down here! Breakfast is ready!” I heard my brother yell from the other side of the door. He pounded on it hard enough to rattle the door. I jumped and landed on my butt.
“Alright, Ash! Just wait, you overzealous pain in the ass!” I said and another wave of “freak out” hit me again. My brother was still here but I heard many more voices than two downstairs. I picked up thin leather boots that came up to my knees and laced them up. I ran downstairs, my two-inch heels clicking. I was good at adapting so I knew I had to act normal until everything went back to normal… whenever that may be. The long flowing skirt billowed around my feet as I ran down two flights of stairs. My brother’s black hair was all I could see of him as I ran after him.
“Ashton! Ash! Wait up!” I yelled after him. He didn’t slow down or speed up. He just continued like he hadn’t heard me. He went to the kitchen and looked over at a tall-ish redhead. About my height but her hair was in cute cropped ringlets to the middle of her neck. She turned around to look at me and her big brown eyes lightened even more.
“Dorothy! Your finally up!” she laughed and walked over to hug me. I’ve never seen this girl before but I had to act normal. I awkwardly hugged the girl back. It was only a matter of time for me to return to my normal life.
“Yeah… I am…” I said softly and pat the top of her head. She laughed and let go. She handed me a plate loaded with eggs, ham, bacon, and hash browns.
“Breakfast is ready. School is in five minutes,” the redhead said and smiled wide. I bit my lip and nodded, taking the food. I was starving anyway. Hopefully it wasn’t poisoned.
“Of course its not poisoned. You only let the people you trusted live here with you,” the redhead said and I stared, not ready for that. Okay, yes, I was fine with waking up in a strange place not knowing why I looked beautiful instead of scruffy, in this huge house. What I was not okay with was… this! I didn’t even know what this was but I was sure I wasn’t going to like it! How did this girl…
“I know because I can see into your mind. I know you don’t know who I am or what any of us are. I told them that you were coming and I want to introduce you,” she smiled, “my name is Tupsa Apell, but call me Tippy.”
I nodded. Her accent sounded Swedish, come to think of it. It sounded pretty.
“This is Gregory Sinner,” she pointed to a blonde boy. He was plain-looking, nothing to get exited over. “Garnet Sinner,” she indicated a dyed-blonde girl with red eyes. “Jopie Bosse,” a small brown-haired girl looked over then went back to talking to Gregory and Garnet.
“Eros Young,” she looked at a black-haired boy with yellow eyes. “And lastly, Loki Sayce.” I looked over at Eros’s copy sitting on the floor next to him. I cataloged all the names: Ashton, Gregory, Eros, Loki, Garnet, Jopie, and Tippy. Damn, these people had weird names.
“N-nice to meet you…” I whispered and sat down at the table. I finished eating in two minutes and washed my hands. Tippy handed me keys and I looked at her. I was sixteen and I hadn’t gotten my drivers’ permit yet. I was very helpful - not! She nodded, without me saying anything and took the keys back.
“C’mon, guys!” Tippy said and walked out the door. We started walking on the sidewalk. It was dark outside and another wave of “freak out” hit me. They came in flashes that day. I ate breakfast at night and I was going to school - at night!? This was so not happening. This just wasn’t right. The sun had just set, we should be sleeping. Ugh, just suck it up, Doe. It will be over in a little bit,I had thought to myself. I had to think that, or I would go insane.
We’ll be out of here in no time, Doe. Just wait, I heard a voice in my head and I looked around. My brother half-smiled and I screamed bloody murder. First this weird girl reads my mind and next my twin brother telepathically talks to me in my head!? What the hell was this? The Twilight Zone?
“Will you shut up! Humans are sleeping,” Tippy said and I looked at her. Weren’t we humans? Well, obviously not her or my brother… oh great. What was going on? I waned to go home! I fell to my knees on the sidewalk and started to cry. I pressed my face into my hands and sobbed loudly.
“This place is weird! I want to go home! I want to go home!” I sobbed, my whole body shaking. My brother hugged me but it didn’t feel like his body. His normal body had no muscles and he was soft and his voice was smooth and deep. Like our dads, even if he repressed the memory of our parents. But his body now was hard with muscle and it was uncomfortable to be held by him. But I didn’t move because his voice still sounded the same and he was still my brother.
“Doe, shhhh. Calm down. Its going to be okay,” he whispered into my hair and smoothed it with one hand as he rubbed my back with the other. Instead of the slight muscles I had in my other body, this one looked frail and weak. Yes, it had a girlish beauty to it now but I felt useless. I missed my old body. My heart ached and my body felt like I was no longer in control of the sobs.
“Um, guys. Go ahead of us, okay? She’s gonna be fine,” Tippy said to the others and I heard some murmurs of uncertainty. I heard shuffling feet getting farther away. I pressed my face to my brother’s shoulder and he held me tighter. Why couldn’t we go home.
“Think about it, Dorothy. I know it sounds stupid, but if you think about home, you’ll be there. Trust me,” Tippy said softly and touched the too-soft hair gently. I thought about it. About my too-small room with my pink walls that I haven’t painted over since I hated pink. About the pine desk and bookcase Ash had built for my ninth birthday. I thought about how the house looked, how lucky we were to have adoptive parents.
“Shhh… Doe, open your eyes,” I heard my brother say and I wiped my eyes. It was daylight outside and we were on the burning hot sidewalk, crouched like idiots. It looked like I had a mental breakdown… which I kinda did have. I sucked in a shuddering breath and stood up, feeling miserable. Maybe I would skip school today. I wasn’t feeling up to it. My heart hurt, my muscles were sore, and I was shaky. I wanted to go home and sleep.
“Ugh, look at the sky. We either run back home or we run to school,” Ash sighed and stood up, picking me up with him. He looked normal. His normal semi-curly dark brown hair that he was too lazy to cut, dark brown eyes that looked almost black, and not muscular. He had a bit of muscles but it was from working out when he had nothing better to do. But he was my brother. I hugged him tightly, pressing my face to his shoulder.
“C’mon, Doe. You look like you’re gonna be sick,” he sighed and picked me up. Somewhere, he remembered Daddy doing that for me when I was scared. Subconsciously maybe, since he had repressed the memory of their death. He had one arm under my knees, the other one under my upper back. I wasn’t short, or small. But he was tall so it was easy for him to pick me up. I closed my eyes as he quickly walked back home. It was obvious that we weren’t going to talk about what happened right now.
It didn’t take long to get to our house. The house wasn’t nearly as nice as the one before but it served its purpose. Ash dumped me on the couch and not nicely. My head thumped against the arm of the couch and I groaned in pain.
“Oh, suck it up,” Ash muttered and threw a bottle of cold tea at me. I growled and flipped him off.
“Are we going to talk about what that was or are we going to pretend it never happened?” I asked him bluntly. I looked at him as I saw his whole body change. First, his eyes went hard and cold, then his jaw set, he sat up straighter, his body stiffened. But it didn’t look like he was mad, that look wasn’t from someone who was mad. He looked scared. And my brother didn’t look scared often.
“What is there to talk about? It’s been happening to me too, Dorothy. But at different times,” Ash sighed and looked down, his curls hiding his face. He needed a haircut.
“You can hide it easier. But what if it happens again, Ashton? What if we get stuck…” I whispered the last sentence. Ash leaned over and hugged me.
“If we do, we have to deal with it. Thats all there is to it, Doe,” he whispered into my hair and I sighed. He had a point. If we get stuck there, we had to live with it. We wouldn’t be able to change it. But I still wasn’t used to the whole “reading my mind” thing that Tippy and Ash could do. That was just weird. Did everyone in the Otherworld have powers? Or was it just Tippy and Ash? If Ash had powers, didn’t I have powers too? He was my twin brother after all. It would only make sense. I was taking this quite well, actually. Well, aside from the part where I crumpled to the ground and sobbed, but it was progress. I couldn’t be scared of that place forever. I had to get used to it. What else could I do?
“I know, Ash,” I sighed and he let go of me. I lay down on the couch and closed my eyes. I fell asleep easily. 

I woke up in time for lunch, but my stomach was too much in a knot for me to be hungry. I just felt sick. No, I hadn’t woken up in the Otherworld again. I was still home with my brother. But the thought that I could be sucked into that strange world made my stomach knot up and I couldn’t eat. Just the smell of chicken made me want to puke. My brother was cooking, which was good. Tony couldn’t cook well and when he was out Norah was home and we ordered takeout. Ash only cooked for me and no one else.
“Get up, sis. Lunch is ready. School called and said we hadn’t gone. Thank me for deleting the message,” he said in his usual upbeat way which made him sound like he was always sarcastic. Which he mostly was, but you couldn’t tell the difference most of the time.
I hated it how he always knew when I was awake. He blamed it on “twin telepathy” but now that phrase had been taken to a whole new meaning when we were in the Otherworld. I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes with the backs of my fingers. I stretched and ran a hand through my frizzy dark brown curls. I wish I had my brother’s hair since his was in nice curls and mine weren’t. I sighed and stood up, starting to walk to the kitchen.
“Thank you, Ash,” I rolled my eyes and he grinned at me. I wanted to smack him but it seemed he was in a good mood so I didn’t. He had a borderline personality disorder so it was best not to get him mad. I looked at his wrists and sighed, seeing the criss-crossing of the thin scars. Then one long on down the length of his arm. I remembered the day this happened, so clearly. We had been ten and Tony and Norah had left the house. We stayed in the living room until Ash had said he needed to use the bathroom. He left and after ten minutes, he never came back. I wasn’t dumb so I went to see what was wrong. I opened the door to see him on the floor in a pool of blood and I had screamed. I called 911 and they came just in time to save him. He was in a mental institute just outside of town for two years then he came back, thankfully.
“Ash, will you ever -” I started but he cut me off, seeing me look at his scars. The same criss-cross scars and the one long one that went down his arm were on the other one as well.
“No, Doe. I won’t, alright? I promised you I wouldn’t. I think about it, but I wouldn’t do it because I don’t want to scare you away,” he whispered and kissed the top of my head. I sighed and nodded, still scared for my brother. I always would be.
Back to top Go down

The Hidden World - Chapter 1
Page 1 of 1